Friday, July 11, 2008

To cable or not to cable...that is the question

We have been cable TV less for 3 years now. The decision was a hard one but an absolute necessity to clean up the budget. It was the cell phone or cable. That made it easy. We were astounded at how much free time we had all of the sudden. We even started to read books again. (gasp!) Randomly, I miss my friends like Paula Deen and Rachel Ray. I also miss seeing how to design a room on a dime. I really miss Dora and Diego every 3 hours. But the thought is fleeting.

A couple of days ago I got the mail. It said Cox cable on the envelope and I knew it was not for the Internet service, but the TV. Curiosity got the best of me and I opened it. That was my first mistake. I guess cable rates have gone down in the last 3 years. And now they have a family package that has the few channels we actually care about like National Geographic, HGTV, and the station of all stations for every mother of a child between the ages of 1 and 3, PBS Kids Sprout, without getting the mindlessness of MTV that I got sucked into in my early 20's. I saved the flier and just mentioned it to Andy. He came back with, we could probably get satellite for that price too. 20 minutes later, he has found a deal even cheaper than the Cox Cable for a year. Visions of me preparing meals along with Giada De Laurentiis pop into my head, then I envision myself being on Trading Spaces........Yeah, it got out of control. We stopped ourselves and questioned whether we want to give up our evenings on the back porch. So, give it to me - do you cable?

5 comments:

Kelly said...

We "dish."
Got a good deal with Direct TV!

BTW....you didn't spell my name wrong on the comment about the bracelet at all you silly girl! And yes, I think Etsy might just be in my future...........
Thanks for the picture of the fam...got it this week and love, love, love it! Lily asked if your kids were her cousins that she hadn't met yet. She's too sweet!

Anonymous said...

We "dish". Dish network has a package with AT&T phone and internet that's really great. I LOVE my food network and don't think I could live without it and the inspiration it brings me to get to cooking. Also, we LOVE all the "options" for kids shows. If you do it, you must get a DVR too...that way you can still sit on the back porch and watch what you want to watch whenever you have time.
Michelle

Michele said...

Unfortunately we do have cable. We have talked about for years and years giving it up. I think we would spend more time playing games, reading books, etc. However, my hubby is a HUGE college football fan, and that is why we have not given it up. Good for you for giving it up!!! I will admit though I absolutely love "What Not to Wear" and "Jon and Kate Plus 8". I have told my husband I wish we could somehow just pick about 10 channels and then leave the rest out of the package. I definitely would not give up the evenings on the back porch - you are making precious memories that the TV just cannot replace!!!!

Tricia said...

Yes, Matthew is a fan of Giada, but I think it is because her boobs are always hanging out on every show! I would go for the cable!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

We don't have cable...haven't for almost 5 years and I don't want it.

We were visiting family last week in Arkansas (I "waved" at you when I passed through your city) and all my kids wanted to do was watch tv. I'm afraid it would be something that sucks them in and I much prefer them to read/draw/play.

Just my .02