Monday, October 22, 2007

A Shout Out to the Clergy

If you didn't already know, its Pastor Appreciation Month. And so I feel obligated to post my thoughts and feelings on the clergy and the hardest job in the world. Just think about it. When your a pastor you have to deal with many things. One might be just answering "the call" even when you don't want to. I personally am so thankful for not getting "the call" to pastor. God knows I tend to run on a short fuse and my mouth would have me in trouble no matter how many times I read the passage on "how a tiny spark can start a fire, so is it with the tongue." (My paraphrasing, obviously) God just knows what he's doing. Back to the clergy.....they have to deal with so much. The opinions of many people (most who would rather criticize, rather than serve or pray). That alone would make me quit in one day. You have to have a tough skin. And you have to be confident in standing by yourself if you are so called. I'll tell you what I have no tolerance for - those who criticize a church, its pastor, or its activities, when they are 1) not being an advocate for change if need be or 2) not praying for Gods will or 3) just yakking about it in order to bring dissension. I believe if you have a problem with the church, how its run, or the person God put in charge of that church, you need to take it to God in prayer, not people. In MOST cases, the pastor is doing what he feels is best, and lets remember - God ordained him to be the head of our church, not us, or we would be the one on the pulpit. And if the pastor isn't acting unethically, or unbiblically, its probably just a matter of "fluff" - so cut them some slack. So those who criticize a sermon, talk, or the like need to take into consideration the fact that if they think they can do it better, you best be in line to preach it next week. (in my opinion, of course) So this is my sincere thanks to the pastors in my life who have accepted the call, have endured many a criticism and have had an interest in my family's spiritual life enough to "preach it". Namely, our current pastor, Tony Bailey. Our prior pastor, Gene Grate, and my youth pastors, Paul Baker, Jeff Cox, and Mike Shinn. I am forever grateful for your time, leadership, and friendship. Now, go bake some cookies, write a note, or personally thank your pastor for caring enough to stand before you every week and deliver the Word.

4 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Amen. My husband was a pastor for 13 years, and those were some of the hardest years of my life! I always thought it was sad that when we'd leave a church (3 in 13 years) people would come out of the woodwork to tell him/us how much they loved him/us, but it sure would have been reassuring during some of the hard times to have known how much love and support they really felt for us.

I make it a point now to encourage and affirm my pastor often. And not just during October!

Thanks for this post.

Cristina said...

Preach it! :) Thanks for the reminder. I need to go make a card!

Anonymous said...

And you thought God didn't call you to preach....that was a pretty good sermon sister! Of course, I am biased growing up in a parsonage and knowing that 24/7 isn't stretching it in the least! My dad semi-retired and is just as busy as he was...it isn't a job you can do part-time...
anyway, back to your post...thank you it was great...and you know I agree on all 3 points (see maybe you were called..hehe)!
Gretta

Anonymous said...

ooooh! I need to hug Tony! Thanks for the reminder!