Thursday, October 25, 2007

Grandma teaches us about pumpkins?

Today was the annual school trip to the pumpkin patch. I would post pictures but frankly, I didn't feel like lugging the camera all over. So we've just got the memories. It was your basic trip to the pumpkin patch with many many children, a sack lunch, and a hay and corn maze. But this was different from the other pumpkin patches we'd been to before. You get to sit on some hay bales and "grandma" gives a short lesson in pumpkins. It starts out with the rules. No playing with the hay. She was saying this to the 4 and 5 year olds....... many of whom were boys. She explains that just like moms, dads, and teachers have rules, so does the pumpkin patch - Don't play with the hay. And now I'm just going to quote her " you know how some boys and girls are out smoking and drinking - they're not following the rules" Remember, she's talking to 4 and 5 year olds. I wondered if some of the poor children wondered what was wrong with drinking their juice. They then got a lesson on a "lung disorder called asthma". Anyway - she shared many facts about the different kinds of pumpkins, which were quite interesting. Then she closed the lesson with this - again, the only way to do it justice is to quote her. " What happens if you leave your gourd in a chair and someone sits on it and it breaks? Who's fault is it? (Many blank stares) Its your fault. Its your fault if you leave your pumpkin or gourd somewhere where someone can sit on it. There's no one else to blame but you. Now go enjoy your day at the pumpkin patch!"

4 comments:

Cristina said...

Now that's funny. No pictures needed. I could see the blank stares in my mind. :)

Anonymous said...

grandma: "how long do you think I've had this gourd?"

random kid in the back row: "forever!"

aaahahahahaha! Man that was a fun day. Don't do drugs, fools!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could've been there--what a hoot!!! It reminds me of the time I took my Kinders to the firestation and the fireman (who they all adored, and looked up to, and wanted to be like...) had a big wad of skoal in his jaw and kept spitting every 5 minutes....eeeewwwww gross...I kept moving my kids back so he wouldn't get their shoes--
some people just shouldn't come in contact with impressionable kids...
I am sure he still had a blast...Hannah's pumpkin trip got cancelled due to rain...talk about a bummer. Thankfully, we had already gone and tonight we are carving...this should be interesting!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I had a "grandma" moment last week at my kids' school. The tech teacher was talking to the 5th graders about selling yearbook ads (we don't even do this in the first place) and asked the kids if it was a good idea or bad idea to go into a bar to sell an ad? I was shocked to say the least. What was she thinkin???

Your pumpkin patch experience sounds hilarious. Sounds like "grandma" may need to retire soon. At least she didn't scare the kids...or did she?