Saturday, September 27, 2008

Snap out of it!

I love to entertain. I love to cook, make the table pretty, and spend time with friends and family. But there's just a small problem. Well, actually, there's 3 small problems, named Zak, Paige, and Rene'. I find myself tired at 3:00 every single day. Then its just a countdown until I can plop myself on the couch and do absolutely nothing. I have been realizing that either I'm lazy, not eating right, or just a wimp. Its probably a combination of all three. And if I was remotely "hip" I'd down a Red Bull at 3 and power through the evening. But the truth is, I'm scared of that stuff. I want to have people over, lots of people, all the time. My initial thought on this is that the house has to be clean. It is a no-brainer that cleaning with three kids is like shoveling snow in a snowstorm. But recently we've had a couple of dinner invites from people who don't feel like everything is perfect at their house. And you know what - its refreshing. And I'm going to copy it. I'm not going to worry that everything is perfect. I'm just going to have company and enjoy it. Life's too short, people.

4 comments:

Amber Elder said...

Amen to that!! I have finally decided that when people come over and my house is clean, they know it's not really like that anyway. My thoughts are if I can invite you over to my house in its current condition, you are a close enough friend to know what to expect. :) I can't fool anyone into thinking I keep a clean house with my personality and 2 young kids. :)

Unknown said...

3:00 is definitely the witching hour around here as well. I've found that a fresh pot of coffee and a little bit of something indulgent (right now that is a Special K Bliss bar) really picks me up in the drudge.

I second the "doesn't have to be perfect" theme with having guests over. I figure if the bathroom is clean and fresh and the general clutter is picked up that it's all good. There's no point in making the kids rooms perfect because they will thrash it with their little playmates who come over.

Jodie | Velour said...

This is great - and so true! I'm the same way about making sure the house is clean before I have company over -especially for supper. But then when I go to someone's house that isn't "perfect" I feel more able to relax. I think hospitality is so much more than a pristine house.

Oh, and I totally agree about trying to clean a house with 3 kids in it. It's a losing battle. I know, b/c I try to do it all the time. :)

Good post.

Tricia said...

Amen sister!! You are such a good entertainer too! I always loved coming to your house for some fun and grub...just wish we could do it like that again! Miss ya!!