Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A little Nostalgia

I don't consider myself overly sentimental. But lately, a little bit has been creeping in. My mom has some very old black and white pictures on her wall of her grandmother as a child and some other old relatives. I found myself looking at them the other day and realizing it was my heritage. I decided once my kids get bigger, I'm going to do some family tree research.

My mom, in her first year of retirement, is on a cleaning rampage. In a matter of weeks I have acquired my old school yearbooks, pictures, and stuffed animals. I love getting them - I just have no where to put them. I guess she doesn't either. Anyway, she brought over some old cookbooks, knowing I'm a sucker for a cookbook. As I sat down to go through them, I realized it was a treasure trove! I found cookbooks of my grandmother's that have her handwritten recipes stuck inside, newspaper clippings from 1976 with recipes on them. One had her inscription on one that was to a couple getting married, then she scratched out their names and wrote that they didn't get married. Those, to me, are priceless. And my grandmother is still living! But those are the things that some day, when she is gone, I am going to be so happy I have.

I'm afraid in the hustle and bustle of life these days, we forget all that great stuff. A time when convenience foods were almost non-existent. People went out to eat as a rare "treat". It makes me want to bring a little of that back into my family. When times were simple. And the food was always homemade and tasty.


3 comments:

Bethany, Phillip & Nolan said...

LOVE IT! I bet you will have a lot of new(old) great recipes to post! Good pics too!

Kelly said...

Love this post!
I got most of my maternal grandmother's recipe books when she passed away. I found some handwritten recipes stuffed inside a few books when I got them home.....priceless!
Thanks for sharing this with us, Amy. It is a lovely post.

Cristina said...

Very cool. I have been collecting old photos over the past couple of years. They are priceless.