Saturday, September 20, 2008

Just a small beef....

What's funny about this small tirade is that I was on the other side of it just a few years ago.

I have been helping out in the nursery at church. I have to admit. I've always thought I didn't have the gift of being a nursery worker. Therefore, I never volunteered. Because sometimes, other people's children scare me. I'm sure this goes the other way as well. Anyway, I was asked a couple of years ago to teach the pre-k class and I thought it was time to get involved so I jumped in. And I actually enjoyed it. The kids were so funny, and I felt like I was contributing to the spiritual realm of things. Since then, I've been a constant helper, minus a few months after I had a baby. Well, lately, I've noticed how shorthanded our nursery is. That the same people are working every weekend. Not only are they working every weekend, they are working multiple services. I've seen and heard the constant pleadings of our children's department for more helpers, and am astonished at how many people will drop off their children, weekend after weekend, seeing the same people working, and never once darken the door of the nursery to help. I began to get a little angry after I was in charge of the entire nursery for one weekend. Not because I had to be there all weekend, (because I'm not there near as much as some people) but because I saw how much work it is and how few people are willing to step up and help.

So this is my plea to all - if you have ever had the luxury of dropping off your children at the church nursery - think about volunteering once a month to let someone else have the time off.

5 comments:

Amber Elder said...

AMEN SISTER! :) Hey how did you get such a cute background? I need to take lessons. :)

Bethany, Phillip & Nolan said...

AMEN sister! I totally agree...I know I am guilty of not helping enough probably, but I don't see how so many people just drop off and never give it a second thought on how the nursery is staffed or anything. Come on all you parents...the kids don't bite!!! Have a great Sunday!!

Pink Happens said...

well the kids mite bite - but those are the kids whose parents don't help - hehe!! just kidding!!!
hope people read this and are willing to help - we need it! and btw - thanks Amy for taking over for a weekend for me!! you're a life saver!

Kelly said...

"A" to the "men" Amy!
Preach it....sis-tah!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Well said! Hey...cute new blog design...I really like it.