Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A post about a rest stop

I'm coming off a trip where we spent 24 hours in the car both ways. So forgive me that this post is about a rest stop. But once you see and understand, you'll know why.

Lets talk about rest stops. I don't normally like them. I'd rather enter the bathroom of a gas station and take my chances. Because after all, gas stations have candy and lots of it. Unlike rest stops. But when you need a place for your kids to frolic and play, the gas station parking lot isn't your first choice.

We fell in love with the rest stop in Trinidad, CO a few years ago. It is new, clean, and has a great view for a picnic. But it has since moved to 2nd on my list. The rest stop close to the border of Texas and OK has won. Not only does it have very nice clean bathrooms, it has interactive information inside about old Route 66. And then - the smartest thing of all time. A play area. Why in the world don't every rest stop in the country have play areas. We stopped about 30 minutes before it got dark, and the kids acted like they had never played on a play gym before. They were ecstatic.

Oklahoma - I love you. You have friendly people, and I have very fond memories of growing up there. But really - your rest stops are put to shame. I mean shameful. They are old, disgusting, and not exciting. Oklahoma - you need to step it up. You have a pro basketball team now. Its time to ramp up the rest stops. Texas, my hat is off to you. You did it right. And I will pass by my beloved Oklahoma's rest stops any time - in order to get to yours.

2 comments:

Cristina said...

What a great place! I am pretty sure we have stopped there too. Glad you had a fun trip to CO!

BTW, Texas has some goofy rest stops where there is nothing but a picnic table and a trash can. Seen those?!

Anonymous said...

You need to forward this post to Oklahoma Tourism dept. I agree our rest stops are sorely lacking, and they are sometimes the first impression people get of our state. So sad. If you ever go up I35 to Iowa, they have lovely rest stops. Natural stone that blend into the environment and helpful attendents. No play ground though. Glad you had a great time.