Monday, November 26, 2007

Its always magical in my head

Last weekend was the "big" weekend. You know, the one where we hit the tree farm and make lots of memories. I'll set the stage. 4 out of 5 have runny noses. (The ironic thing of it all is the one who has a finger in the mouth then up the nose nervous habit, doesn't have one.) And these are the runny noses where you are wiping them like every 3 minutes. And since 2 out of the 4 can't wipe their own noses - they'd rather lick it - it makes for a busy day. I'm thinking "the high today is 41 degrees, lots of Kleenex on the back of that wagon, getting in trouble for littering the tree farm with said Kleenex blowing out of my pockets, my infant getting pneumonia - yeah, not worth it." "Babe - lets hit Home Depot". Actually, Andy brought up the "f word". That's right - fake tree. I can't bear the thought so I nixed it. As I watched my 2 oldest kids have races up and down the aisles of Home Depot, I knew that they were making memories. Granted we weren't in the tree aisle because Andy needed "a few things". But they were memories nonetheless, and I'll lower the expectation bar just this once. Within minutes we found the perfect tree because well, they're all perfect when they're grown at the home depot tree farm.

I had a new menu this year for our little family decorating party. Little smokies, Chex mix, chips and Rotel cheese dip, and some nutty cinnamon sticks. It went over well with the under 5 crowd. While I enjoyed the stuffed mushrooms last year, I learned my kids pallets aren't quite as sophisticated. So we're enjoying our snacks and putting the lights on the tree and we discover that half of our light strands are burnt out. And you can't decorate the tree without the lights on. By this time we don't want to get out again, so we stood and admired our half lit tree void of our ornaments and called it a night. Guess there's a little tweaking to do before next years tree decorating party.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the FUN has BEGUN!!! How in the world did Andy NOT get a runny nose......=)
Gretta

Cristina said...

LOVE the menu ~ and I love how you just roll with the punches when things don't go according to plan. You're such an inspiration.