Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Stocking

It all started when I was still dating Andy and I made him a stocking for Christmas and filled it. I tend to like gaudy, sparkly, etc. So its one of those kits that have lots of sequins that shimmer. I was slightly hurt when he didn't gush over the fact that I had made it. Come to find out - he's a plain sort of guy. His stocking growing up was just red and white and his name was written on it in felt marker. Mine had all kinds of sequins and my name written in gold cord. I ended up taking his name off of it and putting mine on. We went back and forth over the years on what kind of stocking we were going to have as a family. And I would really love to have beautiful stockings made out of rich fabric that match my decor perfectly - but really, thats just not me. So finally, I trumped him and said I was making everyone a stocking out of a kit. With lots of sequins. I tried to choose one that was fairly plain for him. As few sequins as I could find, yet it still went along with the theme. Here's what I came up with.



So last year I made Zaks.


I learned a little lesson in choosing a stocking. Don't pick ones with lots of little things. I believe there were like 250 steps and I began early December. After many late nights and before my December 24th deadline, I finished the stocking. And he loves it.


So this year, I guess I forgot I was behind a child and I started what I thought was Rene's stocking, only to find out when I got the stockings out that Paige didn't have one. So I had to take off Rene's name and put Paige's on. And I thought I was planning ahead. It is December 2nd and I am on step 13 of 145. So now every evening when the children go to bed, I am frantically sewing.

Now, for the point of this entire story. Paige is out of control with anything that makes a mark. Pens, markers, pencils, crayons. Her writing utensil of choice is a marker. Its a double edged sword too, because if I need her to be busy for say 20 minutes - the writing utensils work like a charm. The bad thing is, though she starts in a coloring book, I find marker on things like the coffee table, bills, and books. I usually take them away, only to give them back again because I'm desperate and need her to busy. So, it is only fitting that I pulled out the stocking the other night to commence my work and I found she has colored the white back to her stocking with purple marker. It will be on there for years to come and when she pulls it out every year to hang it on the mantle, we will all have a good laugh about how she colored on her stocking. I think the unplanned memories are better than the planned.

3 comments:

BlessedMomX2 said...

Those are AWESOME Amy!!!! What a fun thing to pass along to your children! I will understand if you won't be on here blogging--your fingers will probably be RAW!!!! How cute! Thanks for sharing--I am so glad you have brought a little BLING into your dh's life...

Cristina said...

Let me take a moment to GUSH! I can't believe you made those! I for one am very impressed. Of course I have no idea how to run a sewing machine, so that alone gets kudos from me...not to mention all the sequins! They're gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful. Geez, you'd be embarrassed FOR me if you saw ours. Me and Chris have the $7.99 ones from Target--the plush red ones with white fur tops, and then Gracie's is pink plush with white fur on top, and Trinity's is the pink plush one that says "Baby's First Christmas" from last year. What? It's not her first Christmas? Oh well, we're good till she can read, right?