Friday, December 7, 2007

So I had this totally cheesy picture of what I did for my kids the other day that I was going to post, but have decided against it. I had a cheesy moment and cut their PBJ sandwiches out with a Christmas tree cookie cutter and then put raisins on them for ornaments. They were very impressed so I guess I should be really proud.
I think I'm in a bit of a writers slump. Which is totally ridiculous when this is my absolute favorite season. So I'm going to post a breakfast favorite at our house. Paige devours it. Zak even asked for some the other day over his usual Honey nut cheerios.

So here you are: Breakfast Granola (courtesy of Southern Living Magazine, slightly modified by me)

3 cups uncooked regular oats
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sliced almonds
12 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup raisins

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Cook honey and next 3 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over oat mixture and stir well. Spread mixture in a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes stirring every 5 minutes. Invert onto wax paper; let cool. Stir in dried fruit.

This is so delicious with vanilla yogurt stirred in. And you can pretty much throw in whatever nuts, dried fruits, etc you want. And it sticks with you a lot longer than a bowl of cereal. And of course, a cup of coffee is a must have.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Post the PBJ pictures! My children have to live vicariously through your children's experiences. There's no way they're getting a Christmas Tree sandwich in this house.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I want to make the granola...sounds so yum!