Wednesday, August 1, 2007

One Second can change your life

We got word last night that Andy's aunt and uncle were in a terrible car accident. His aunt didn't make it. As I sat consoling my husband I kept thinking to myself. These are the things you just don't think will happen to your family. I have never known anyone so close to die in such a sudden and tragic way. My days in Colorado, I sat many a morning at her table drinking coffee and shooting the breeze at "breakfast club". I'm going to share a few things about Sydney that will help you know what the world lost yesterday.

Sydney is the wife of Jimmy, a mom of 5, grandma of 11. She is Andy's dad's sister. She is a FABULOUS cook. Every holiday or birthday you are hoping to get one of her homemade desserts as a gift. Many times Andy asked for her famous macaroon tarts for his birthday. I personally wanted her pie. Her crusts were just perfect. She made the desserts for the Juniper Valley Restaurant. You would always find an open door and some yummy treat at her house. She had a love for her grandchildren that was so evident in the way she interacted with them. There was always one of them at her house at any given time. Every fall, you could always count on Sydney to have a Denver Bronco party. The family would all meet in her large living room for football and family time. And you could count on her to be wearing blue and orange. Every holiday consisted of some time at her house. She has this large living room with this great fireplace that is always burning in the winter. She took care of 99 year old Evelyn nearly every day. Taking her dinners or stopping for a visit. She loved golf and would take lots of trips with her husband Jimmy to play on various courses. You could count on her for an honest opinion. And most of the time, what Sydney said was gospel. She always had great jewelry on. I never paid much attention to acessories until I moved to CO and always saw Sydney with great matching jewelry. She was my next door neighbor for 2 years. She was a devoted Catholic. She loved her family dearly. Sydney we love you and we'll miss you.

Just take a moment today to remember the only reason we are on this earth is to see how many people we can take with us to heaven when we die. And the only way to do that is by the blood of Jesus. The difference of 1 second can change your life. Now go give your family a hug, and please remember ours as we move with heavy hearts through the rest of our week.

2 comments:

Cristina said...

Amy ~ I am SO sorry! I was moved to tears by your blog. You did a beautiful job of honoring her with your memories. Your family will be in our prayers this week. Hugs to you and Andy both from CO.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Your blog brought me to tears and it sounds like she will be truly missed. What a wonderful tribute you gave and makes me think I want to live my life in such a way that will be a blessing to others. Your family is in our prayers as you are going through this tragedy together. Love you GUYS!!!