Saturday, August 4, 2007

VBS fun

Last night was VBS at our church. We just do a one night thing, and do it up really big. I volunteered Andy and I to work with the 2-3 1/2 year olds. Simply because they were done at 8:00pm and the bigger kids weren't done till 10pm.

It all began with me taking all 3 of my children up to the church by myself because Andy was going to be late, of course. So I knew I had to purchase 4 T-shirts and feed my children pizza all by myself before Andy would get there. I planned to get there a few minutes early so I could be first at the T-shirt table so I wouldn't have to wait in a line with 3 little ones in tow. I had my check all written out - I was prepared. So as soon as I get there I am the first in line and thankful for the gift of organization. I am rattling off T-shirt sizes to the guy while the line gets long behind me. I think I might have jostled Rene' too much because she spit up all over the floor, me, and my new T-shirt. With an audience behind me, I bend down to the floor, grab and extra outfit out of my diaper bag and clean the floor with it, all while holding Rene' and repeating the T-shirt sizes to the T-shirt guy, and Paige pointing and yelling at the top of her lungs "spit up, spit up, spit up". Now I am wearing some low rise pants. And I went with undergarments that were comfortable, not necessarily stylish or the right pair for the pants, all knowing that I would be buying a T-shirt that would well cover my low rise pants and underwear that showed. At this point I hadn't put on my T-shirt so everyone behind me got a great view of my navy blue underwear sticking out of my low rise pants. And the funny is, while I am juggling all of these things, no one behind me offers to help. And the person standing next to me was the nursery worker who was going to take care of Rene' and I thought just maybe she would offer to hold her, but not a chance. So that was my experience at the T-shirt table.

We rush off to the mothers nursing room to change because that is the only place I can lay Rene' on the floor. I then drop her off in her class and the remaining children and I go hit the pizza table. It was very crowded, and I realized I needed to get 3 plates and drinks. So I begin my juggling act only to look over at my children eating the ice that is keeping the drinks cold. I finally convince them to take a bottle of water, not the ice and we find a space on the floor to eat. The only mishap there was Paige spilling all her water on the floor. Since it was water, I rubbed it in with my foot and we promptly left for our classes.

The next 2 hours was spent moving 17, 2-3/12 year olds, from "country" (the whole theme was Northview Jones - based on Indiana Jones) to country. If you have ever tried to keep track of 17 toddlers in VBS madness, you can only sympathize. If you haven't, just picture utter chaos. There is this chain of rings that they are all supposed to hold on to while we move them from place to place. There were only 3 of us adults and we basically spent 2 hours corralling them back to the chain of rings. I have never been so tired in my life.

All in all, they had a great time. And next year, I will volunteer with the class that doesn't need a string of rings to move from place to place.

3 comments:

Cristina said...

Sounds just like my weekly experience at AWANA this past year. This is my tip: volunteer to be a room helper - like in the craft room. Then you just get to do crafts and you're not responsible for kids. That's what I did this year. It was great!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I didn't even know you were there! Things were so chaotic. I had the KINDERGARTENERS till TEN. With sugar treats at EVERY FREAKIN' COUNTRY. Um, someone is gonna hear about this LOL And I'm definitely taking the older kids next year. Those little ones are looney.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I saw your comment on In The Midst of It, and I had to reply! I live in Colorado Springs, well, just a little north of there, and I love, love, love it!

Your VBS experience sounds fun...well maybe not fun, but I've definitely been in your shoes! Glad you survived. Aren't you glad it was only one night and not all week?

Oh...and I love half and half and raw sugar too. I can't stand white sugar anymore...it's just not "rich" enough for me.

Blessings,
Meredith