Friday, August 17, 2007

Because I'm keeping it real......

Its just one of those odd things about me, I want my life to look like it does in commercials. Especially the Christmas ones. The children bound down the stairs on Christmas morning to a glowing tree with beautifully wrapped presents around. Mom and Dad are drinking coffee and smiling at one another. Or its the first day of school and everyone is sitting down to a large homecooked breakfast in their extra large kitchen with many windows. Its all about the memories.

So it was the first day of school in our house today, for Zak. I was going to get up early and make a nice breakfast, even though he doesn't go to school until the afternoon. And I did get up early - like 4 times, thanks to Rene'. None of those times did I get up and begin to prepare the large breakfast I had in mind. Instead Paige woke me at 5. After an hour of trying to get her to go back to sleep I realized it was pointless and stumbled into the kitchen grabbing at the coffee pot. I could feel it - I was ultra cranky. I don't do well without much sleep. The only homemade breakfast I could muster up were some blueberry muffins.

The morning was rather uneventful, as we're waiting for the clock to move faster. And by the time its time to take Zak to school, I'm getting really sleepy again. I grabbed the video camera, scooped up the children and we were off. He did fine, as usual. And I somehow felt I'd ripped him off by not making a bigger deal of his first day of school. While I left a smiling, waving boy in the classroom, I heard from another mother in the parking lot, he was not so happy. I toyed with the idea of going in, but then I didn't want to be one of those moms, so I took my now cranky other 2 children home for their naps. Here's a pic of the first day of school last year



And here is this years pic




The good news is I have 13 more years and 2 more children to perfect the first day of school memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last 2 blogs just made me even more tired than I already am...and then this one just makes me realize how fast time just flies. Look at the difference of your little man from last year! Man, how does that happen? Also, I love your new screen door and wow--you must really have a green thumb your plant really took off from last year...hehe
anyway, I say YEAH for afternoon classes!!!! Just think what they would've had for breakfast if he had morning class....at least at my house it would probably be something they could eat in the car...shame on me!