Monday, June 25, 2007

My newest obsession

You know that feeling you get when you think about something and your heart starts pounding? You know its something you need to take action on and maybe you don't want to or you do want to. Well, I got that feeling the other day. While sitting at a play date with a few moms we began talking of our love of good coffee. Then we started talking about the annoyances of our favorite coffee shops. Which led to the discussion of our dream coffee shop. Then how 3 out of 4 of us had thought of having our own coffee shop. Well, it was great fun sitting together and planning our little business we were going to open up. Since that day, I can't get out of my mind the thought of opening up a coffee shop. Yesterday I had the oh so rare opportunity to actually take a nap. As I snuggled under the covers, my mind drifted back to the coffee shop and the fact that I have a business degree. I've been trained for such a thing. My heart started to pound and I though to myself - "I could really do this". I didn't end up taking a nap but basically planning out the layout, budget, and menu of this coffee shop.

Now I know there are those who will think I'm crazy. I do have a 4 year old, 2 year old and 4 month old. But its not like I'm opening up shop tomorrow. There is that minor detail of capital. Of which I think I have about 50 cents raised. (I haven't checked the floor of the van so that total could go up). But I'm telling you, I don't think this is going to go away until I have have researched it to death and decided there is no way I can do it. And I have 3, maybe 4 business partners in the wings.

I'm being practical about the whole thing and have put 3 books on reserve from the library, detailing the brewing of coffee to actually staring your own coffee house. Your work has to be your passion. And while I don't mind bookkeeping, lets just say its not my "passion".

I've got to get going. I have a lot of research to do in the 2 hours called "quiet/nap time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, well, I just checked the floor of my van, and how 'bout another 82 cents to add to that start up capital?? I sooooo want to do this. I told Chris and he's got some awesome ideas about things we need to consider and suggested we start meeting once a month without the kids (!) to plan some stuff!!!

Cristina said...

I love that you are dreaming big and thinking about your passion. I believe anything is possible. I haven't given up my dream of publishing a book someday ~ but I might be an old woman before it happens.