Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Can I get in the chair and have some laughing gas?

Today was the first time I have ever taken my kids to the dentist. Minus the time we were out of town and Zak chipped his tooth and had to have it capped. We were long overdue. Now really, why I would say "yes" to the 8:00 appointment is beyond me. I have high expectations. I didn't really think about the fact that I would need to feed all 3 kids and get them dressed and at the dentist at 7:45 to fill out paperwork. It nearly killed me. So I'm there on a stomach void of food but with a few sips of coffee. Yeah, not a great start either. I had to fill out 8 pieces of paper - 8 people - do we really need to fill out 8???????????? Granted it was 4 per child, but still. I had to take one to the bathroom during that process. No wonder they told me to get there at 7:45 to "fill out paperwork". As I'm filling out the paperwork, I notice a stinky smell and pray someone just has gas. As it lingers, I know I'm not that lucky. But it's a good thing I had Andy run the diaper bag out to me just as I was pulling out of the driveway, or that would have been a disaster. Only a bigger disaster was that I didn't have a diaper in the diaper bag. So now, my stinky kid and 2 other terrified kids are all back in the exam room. All the sudden, Zak notices that the rash that was on his cheeks yesterday has now spread to his arms and says in his loudest voice "Mom, now my rash is on my arms, oooooohhhhh nnnnnoooooooooo". I know that hygienist who just walked in and got a whiff of stink and a look at Zak's rash was wishing she had come to work late. I'm just going to skip the whole X-ray, gagging part and move on. To the fact that Zak has 5 cavities. For someone who brushes his teeth twice a day religiously, I can't believe he has 5 cavities. Worse yet, that means fillings. I'm basically nauseous now. I don't know if its because I don't want to bring him back for the fillings, because I haven't had a thing to eat, or because I've been smelling poop for the last 45 minutes. We finally leave an hour after we darkened their door and I am ready to call it a day and go back to bed. But I can't, because its only 9:00 in the morning. And I have an entire day ahead of me.

6 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I want to cry empathy tears for you right now. Is there anything harder than being a mother???

My son had 9 cavities when he was four, and just like you, we faithfully brushed his teeth night and day.

It's weird because my girls have never had a single cavity, but my son has a mouthful.

We had them filled a couple at a time so as not to overwhelm him, but it was not a fun experience. He hates going to the dentist now, but thankfully his permanent teeth have come in and no problems so far.

I hope you can take a nap or find some time for yourself this afternoon. It might be worth locking yourself in the bathroom! :)

Unknown said...

oooooh wow. my sincerest condolences on all of it.


:) and I'm really sorry, but that part about x-rays and gagging just cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey! I'm dreading our next trip to the dentist, Gracie has at least one cavity for sure. And I have one too...and we brush obsessively in this house. Sigh. And you know what I woulda done with that stinky diaper? I so would have taken her to the bathroom, taken out the turd and flushed it and then put that diaper back on. haha I know, I'm so gross. I just can't handle the smell of poop. hahahaha

Cristina said...

You poor thing! Hopefully you will laugh about this one day. You are the bravest mom I know! Way to go for sticking it out! I would have had a melt down long before 9 am.

Tricia said...

It just sounded horrific and I am in shock that you even dared such a feet with 3 children all by your self! I barely even go to the mall with the two that I have alone!! I hope your afternoon went better.....

Anonymous said...

You are one person that I can read your blog (faithfully) and it never fails - I always end up laughing out loud! I promise it's laughter because I hear your cries! Jalen ALWAYS has cavities. It never fails and he is my non-sweet eater, brushes faithfully, and HATES the dentist! Our first experience constisted of him biting the hygientist. Our second vist constited of them bringing him back to me because he had impetigo (highly contagious) and they refused to work on him. I said highly contagious - yeh I got it. It's never fun. I hear ya! Take that nap, it is so deserved! Heck - we need to sign you up for a girls get away - no kiddos!
Paula