Saturday, March 8, 2008

Advertising money well spent

Zak has this thing about the TV. When a commercial comes on, telling you to go somewhere or buy something, he feels like they are talking directly to him. I often hear, "Mom, they said that Chuck E. Cheese is where a kid can be a kid. I'm a kid. We need to go there." Or "Mom, that man said to go to such and such dot com. Can you turn on the computer?" The other day he was asking me for something I had never heard of. It turned out to be a prescription drug. A little rant about the prescription drug commercials. Who is honestly going to ask their physician for a drug that in the commercial they list all the side effects, including but not limited to nausea and vomiting? Ridiculous. Anyway, I am trying to tell him, to no avail, that those are people who want our money and we can actually make a choice as to what we want to spend it on. He is not convinced. At least he's thoughtful. He saw this infomercial about some purse that can hold all your stuff and told me that he'd tell his dad I needed that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Didn't his Aunt Traci have that same problem when she was growing up?

MOM

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh yeah...I live in this world too!

Not long ago, we stopped by Subway to pick up some sandwiches and my 5-year-old starts singing, "Subway, eat fresh!"

Yesterday we went furniture shopping, and my 9-year-old started singing "American Furniture Warehouse" and telling us maybe we'd run into Jake Jabs and a tiger while there.

They. don't. miss. one. single. thing!!!

Unknown said...

I KNOW THAT PURSE COMMERCIAL! When S saw it he said, "Mommy, you need to get that purse. You always loose stuff in your purse." Sadly, he was right. Too bad that purse was ugly.

So I have to defend those drug commercials a little. I think I'd take the possibility of nausea and vomiting with my antidepressant over the possibility of sticking my head in the oven without it.

Haha.

Sort of.