Friday, February 22, 2008

And it all went downhill from there

Yes, I was on a little "high" for being such a good mom with such nutritious smoothies (see below). And it promptly went downhill from there. My kids became ultra whiny and sensitive. We'll blame it on the fevers. The afternoon nap for Paige was 30 minutes instead of 2 hours. I think they watched 7 videos. And as Oprah was ending I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that the phone that was ringing was my husband, saying he was on his way home. I had made it. Until that man on the end of the phone said he was working late and he wasn't going to be home for like 2 hours. I about lost it at that point. Dinner for 2 children and a baby is hard enough as you feel like you are running an obstacle course between the kitchen and dining room because you are either continually forgetting something or someone is needing something. But 2 sick kids and a baby is described as nothing but sheer torture. Somehow we made it. But we were on to bath time. I almost skipped this altogether but when your sick, a bath just makes you feel better. I did have to remind Paige that even though she was sick, didn't mean I'd be letting her pour water on the floor with the bowl and if she was going to do that, she wasn't too sick to get a spankin' for it. So one at a time, I got the baths done - no spankings necessary. The only reason I made it through the baths was because I was reciting out loud "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me Philippians 4:13". Nothing like teaching a little scripture memory to your children while trying to remain sane and calm. When each child was done, I plopped them on the couch with their respective blanket and pillow and turned on "Praise Baby". Even my 5 year old loves it and the music was nice and calming. Zak fell asleep and I decided 6:45 wasn't too early to put the baby and a sick 2 year old down for the night. As I walked back into the living room and plopped myself into the rocking chair in walks Andy. Soft music playing, girls to bed, and Zak asleep on the couch, I realized he thought this was how peaceful my day had been. I was sure to correct him.

Then I prayed "Lord, if I could just have 6 hours of sleep tonight I promise I'll be a better mom tomorrow".

I think they have the flu.

2 comments:

Cristina said...

We are all fighting the same junk! It seems everyone everywhere has it! You are a great mom ~ hang in there!

Cristina said...

Is everyone well yet?! We are still fighting it! Is it ever gonna end?!

We are gonna be in OKC May 16-18 for Tomy's graduation. We'd love to see you guys! Maybe we could stop by sometime or have y'all join us for dinner somewhere. Emma made me promise to email and tell you so you could plan on seeing her! And she wanted me to extend an invitation for you to come visit us sometime. :)