Thursday, September 27, 2007

The schedule

I am a planner. I like things organized and I like to know whats going to happen next, unless its a surprise party for me with lots of gifts of course. So with my children, I put together "the schedule". With Zak, this was perfected. My entire day revolved around "the schedule". He had a nap at 10 and 3 everyday and went to bed at 8 every night. He was an excellent baby and slept through the night at 4 months and has continued to do so. I owe it all to "the schedule". With Paige, I implemented "the schedule", but decided it could be a little more flexible. I didn't need to be so rigid. She still had the same nap times and bed times but I fed her a little longer in the middle of the night so she didn't really sleep through the night until around 6 months. Because, you know you have to buckle down and let them cry so they understand they can't be feasting all night long into adulthood. Poor Rene', I had all the good intentions to put her on "the schedule". She is #3 and well, #3 is on whatever schedule the rest of the family is on. So naps are not consistent and they are frequently taken in the preschool drop off/pick up line. And for some reason I can't seem to let her cry in the middle of the night so she is STILL eating at 8 months. These days, I value sleep more than consistency. This is bugging me to no end. I have got to get a grip and just let the girl cry. I know from previous experience it only lasts a night or two and then she'll be a great sleeper like the others. I just can't buckle down for some reason. I keep telling myself this will be so much harder to do when she's one so I have to do it. So this weekend is the chosen weekend. I'm going to let Rene' cry in the middle of the night until she realizes meals are during the day, not in the middle of the night. She's had some random full nights of sleep so I know its not a hunger issue. Those who have seen her know that most definitely isn't the case. Some may think I'm harsh, I know, but the benefits of children who sleep through the night are my motivation and I've experienced it before and I'm determined to experience it again. So if there are a few posts in the middle of the night this weekend, you'll know I'm trying to get my mind off the crying child in the other room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, that's a fat baby, you're not starving the child! LOL

I WUV her, I wanna eat her up every time I see her. I think you're doing the right thing, mom!! You have to let her cry just a few nights. She knows where her thumb is! And won't it feel nice to get like 5-6 straight hours of sleep? You soooo deserve it!

Joanna said...

So how did it go? We need a blog update.