Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Dinner Ritual

This began like 2 weeks ago. And anytime we are all at the dinner table together, about 4 out of the 7 evenings, it happens. Daddy comes home and everyone's excited. Especially me! I've usually got dinner timed just about perfectly to being ready when he walks through the door. We're all at the table, except for Andy, because well, he needs to do about 10 things before he can sit down. And I see it - the fly. I have usually killed about 2 flies in the process of making dinner because they hover around my head for some reason. (no laughing or snide remarks) That purple fly swatter I bought at Wal Mart has the battle scars of my wrath. Its missing a few slats. For some reason, I stink at trying to kill them. I try to ignore them until I can't take it anymore. I am always positive I've gotten every last one until that moment when Andy sits down at the table. They must all be in the same family and think they're funny, because its at the exact same time every night. Or maybe they are wanting revenge for killing their brother, sister, mother, grandfather, I don't know. I try not to think I've hurt they're family. Okay, anyway, it becomes quite the game of "Where is the fly"? We each try to spot it before the other. It always lands somewhere on the table or the light fixture. And of course, you can't swat it on the table or light fixture because then it could bounce onto someone's plate. So it takes a good while to get the fly. But I'm going to brag on my husband here a minute. He can swat a fly in mid-air and kill it. I know, I'm a lucky gal. While its been a fun game, I'm getting tired of it. But I wanted to pass this info along to you if you're looking for a family bonding game to play at the dinner table, just open the back door and let the bonding begin.

2 comments:

Cristina said...

You're hilarious! What you are turning country on us?!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Wow...you have such a talented husband. I can't even seem to kill 'em with the flyswatter.

For some reason we've had an abundance of flies lately. Probably has something to do with our windows and doors being open to let in the cool mountain air. We were laughing so hard at dinner one night last week. This one fly was driving me crazy, but everytime it landed, it was close to food or plates or body parts. It was impossible to take a swat at it. It was comical trying to kill it. I swear that fly was laughing at his ablility to outsmart us. Funny!