Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2004 was a good year for cream of chicken soup

We're eating out of our cabinets this week. Meaning, I did not go to the grocery store. Scarey - I know. I'd love to say its just because we want to, but its not. We've tightened the budget strings, put away the credit cards, and are buckling down. We haven't eaten out in 3 weeks and I've lost 5 pounds. So realizing I have 7 days until our new budget period begins, and no grocery money, I decide not to beg the husband for the credit card, but be resourceful. So into the pantry I dove. I had it all planned out last night. It was night 3 of this, and its getting worse and worse each night. But last night, I though I had a good plan. I had some rice, a can of chicken, and a can of cream of chicken soup. Perfect. A little chicken rice casserole. As the rice is cooking, I open the can of soup. As I'm about to pull off the lid, I notice the expiration date. January 2004. 2-0-0-4. It is now 2008. That can of cream of chicken soup had inevitably been with me at 3 houses - one in Colorado, one in Wyoming, and the house here. Tip of the day: when you move, read your expiration dates before packing or just start all over at the new place. So I was up a creek. I had rice cooking, and the can of tomato sauce or asparagus was not going to work. So I opened the refrigerator and had a stroke of genius. Ranch dressing and chicken and rice. Now I am not kidding when I say that my children went on and on about how good dinner was. Paige nearly licked her plate clean. Even Rene' ate it. I had to force it down, and Andy just shook his head (but was so proud of me for not begging to go to the store). We haven't gone hungry, like I was afraid we were. And like Andy said - "What did people do before there were credit cards? Lets do that." We had to eat Ranch chicken and rice casserole last night, but I got to help my 5 year old learn to read, watch my 11 month old practice walking, and spank my 2 year old 3 times in 3 hours. A better alternative, in my opinion, to sitting at a desk all day and coming home to cabinets full of food.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo, Creative Cooking Genius!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Yay for you for eating at home. We eat out about once a month, and it's a huge treat for us. I don't mind cooking and we save tons of money this way!

Somewhere there's a website where you can enter the ingredients you have on hand, and it will generate recipes for you with those ingredients. I don't know how to tell you to find it other than do a google search, but maybe there's some other creative ideas out there that use chicken and rice and ranch.

Cristina said...

Love your creativity! Canned tomato soup is my go-to when things are low. You can make lots of casseroles, soups, etc with it.

Sarah said...

That is great! I have had a few weeks of that too, lately (no money left in my checking account either!) :-)
One of the greatest ways to "use what you have" is get Quick Cooking cookbooks from Taste of Home. I am actually posting on this next Monday--come and see! :-)
Thanks for visiting my blog....looks like we have alot in common!