Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The elevator

There's an elevator where I work. There are 4 floors. I started out on floor 2. I never took the elevator. I thought it'd be a little embarrassing to take it just one floor up. So I became a stairs girl. Well, a few weeks ago, I moved to the 4th floor. Feeling ambitious, I decided, I was going to continue to take the stairs. Another opportunity to burn a few extra calories. That lasted a day. 4 flights of stairs, with full coffee cup, workout bag, and heels is NOT pleasant. I'm not that tough. And I'm not going to pretend to be tough. So, the elevator it is.

And boy, was I missing out. The elevator provides me some comic relief. I didn't realize how much I was missing!! So I'm going to describe just a few elevator moments for you.
  1. You have the morning person in with about 10 non morning people. Morning person has a vase of flowers from her garden and is humming. It was all I could do to not laugh at the blank, or annoyed stares she got.
  2. The awkward silence ride. This happens more often then not. Just 2 of you, in an enclosed area, each of you hugging the opposite wall. I usually try to small talk it when I'm in this situation.
  3. The talk your leg off ride. That's where one person is telling you waaaaay too much information in a short amount of time.
  4. The cell phone guy. For some reason, I've gotten on with him like twice a week. He's talking REALLY LOUD and everyone is listening to his conversation because they are a captive audience. Really, people, no cell phone conversations on the elevator.
  5. And the no manners person. This actually happened to me. I had my bagel on a plate from the cafeteria. During our short ride to 4, no manners person sneezes. And fills the elevator with her sneeze spray. Now here was my delima. I was STARVING. Do I trash the bagel or just eat it? I'm leaving that one open ended.
  6. The people who hate each other ride. I watched 2 people, who I knew had had an altercation, awkwardly get on the elevator together. It gave me a chuckle.
  7. And finally, the ride by yourself hair and makeup check. This is a personal fav. The entire backside of the elevator is mirrors. So if I am lucky enough to get an elevator all to myself, I wait until the doors close and then immediately spin around to check my hair and makeup. Multitasking at its best.

When I need a break at work, forget the break room. I'm riding the elevators.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

How amusing! Its great to have something like that to break up the work day. :-)

JUP said...

As for the bagel - if you are taking food back to your desk, cover it with another plate, napkin or put it in to go containers if they have them. I hate carrying food back to my desk and everyone looking at it. Elevator experiences are the best!

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you ate the bagel.
Mom

Amber said...

CRACK ME UP!!!! Love it!!!