Monday, December 29, 2008

The Help Desk

So I work at the headquarters for a global company. What I didn't know is that the IT desk is literally on another continent. All I needed was someone to reset my password for my application. In the "olden" days - you'd just call down to your IT department and they'd fix you up in about 2 minutes. Today - I learned what has changed in the 6 years I've been out of the corporate world. When I first started my job and they told me it'd be a few weeks to get all my logins and passwords because they outsourced IT, I scoffed. Who's ever heard of waiting a month to get your logins once you start a new job. They weren't kidding. It took 3 weeks. Now that I have my logins and passwords, they don't work. And my buddy down in IT wasn't there to help, because he now lives in India. I had to call halfway across the globe to get the help desk, spell my last name somewhere close to 10 times to the man who barely spoke English, and wait on hold close to 20 minutes. All of that to generate a trouble ticket that will go to the next tire of the help desk. To see why my password won't work.

Does it really cost that much less to outsource your IT dept? And let me add, is it worth it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Corporate America!! I have friends who's job were sent overseas to save money. It has just become a way of doing business for the big companies. And we wonder why America is having trouble??