Thursday, November 6, 2008

Score One for the TV

Some routines just develop, without you even trying to create one. Our morning routine doesn't vary at all. Once the kids are up, they get their cup of juice for the day, with a vitamin sitting on top of their lid. Its funny how if I don't have the vitamin sitting on their lid, it throws them off. If I hand it to them directly, both Paige and Rene' will put it on their lid, then eat it. Weird. Then its usually cold cereal, unless I'm in the baking mood for muffins or pancakes. Anyway, the TV is turned on to PBS kids and thus starts their morning show routine. If their up early enough its Curious George, then Sid the Science Kid, then Paige and Rene' stick around for SuperWhy. Zak's usually off doing chores. This is what happens at our house every day between the hours of 7 and 8:30am.

I've often felt convicted about the amount of TV my kids watch. I'd love to be doing crafts, taking nature walks, putting on puppet shows, etc. But that just isn't a regular occurrence at my house. I need a shower. And I need my sleep. So I'm not getting up early to get a shower. Therefore, the TV is always on in the morning.

Yesterday I helped in Zak's class. We were all at the library where the Librarian was reading a story about the life cycle of a pumpkin. As she was reading about how the pumpkin was rotting, my son raised his hand and said, "There is another word for rotting - its decaying.". The librarians looked up with surprised faces, the teachers were laughing, and I was a proud parent at that point. I didn't teach him about decaying, Sid the Science Kid did. And I'll be letting Sid the Science Kid teach him every morning ...........without guilt.

3 comments:

Jodie | Velour said...

Oooh, TV can be so good. And yes, carry on without guilt. :)

Amy said...

I'm such a proud aunty! He is so smart!

Don't feel guilty Aim, TV for kids is all about learning these days then when we were kids. I watched “Fraggle Rock” for goodness sake; I still don't know what that show was even about...

Love Amy C

Mrs. Valente said...

I'm with you on the PBS. It was a lifesaver for about a year when I was nursing my little ones.