Friday, November 21, 2008

Non-traditional

Everything about my life is traditional. And I like it that way.

Until now. Andy and I have made some big decisions and are about to make some big changes in our life. I just took a new full time job. And Andy is going to come home with the kids. There are over 250,000 stay at home dads in the US alone, and the number in other countries can be higher. I won't lie - we are scared out of our minds. But we know this is what needs to happen for our family right now. And while we're scared, we're super excited too. Andy will get a much needed extended vacation (kind of), the kids will get some incredible "dad" time, and I can jump back into the corporate world, where I feel like I excel. This probably isn't a long term thing, but we'll see where it takes us. Our new adventure starts after Thanksgiving. Wish us luck!

11 comments:

Dorynda said...

good luck good luck good luck! i'm excited for you! i hope you love it! we'll have to hang out after you've gotten your feet wet a little!

Joanna said...

I'm so excited for you guys! You will love being out in the real world. I grew up with a stay at home dad, too, and it's the best. Congrats!

Kelly said...

Congrats, Amy!
Where will you be working? I'm assuming it's accounting? Maybe not?
That's so admirable of both you guys....switching roles for a time. God will reward you for your commitment and sacrifice to those 3 beatiful little lives! You know He will!
Can't wait to hear all about it!

Jennifer said...

Oh wow! I hope that you enjoy this new chapter in your life! How nice that dad can stay home with them!

Anonymous said...

That is INCREDIBLE...the kids will love it...(no offense Ames). Do you think Andy will start blogging? I bet it would be a great read, especially the 1st few weeks! Do you get to go shopping to pick out some "grown up" clothes? Sounds like exciting times for the Shirolas...you will all be in our prayers!
G

Amber Elder said...

CONGRATS AMY! I am excited for you guys!!!!

Unknown said...

What an exciting leap of faith! I can't wait to read about the new chapter. I bet you and Andy thrive in the new changes, not to mention the kids. :)

Cristina said...

WOW ~ that is a big change. what will you be doing? that will be neat for the kids to have that time with Andy! best wishes. I can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck guys! I am jealous of all the BOTT radio network Andy will get to listen to!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Very exciting. I actually have a couple of friends here whose husbands are stay-at-home dads. It works well for them, and I hope it will work well for you guys! Best of luck...keep us posted on things!

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Congrats. Hope you and Andy enjoy the switcharoo. Casey and Jayna have done this for years. They live near you guys and their 3 kids are close to the same ages as yours. Maybe Andy and Casey can get together for play dates. You're going to work for a good company with good benefits. Hope you like it. It was good for me all those many years ago.