Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The neglected cup of coffee

Last night was a rough one. Rene' was all stopped up and couldn't sleep, which translates to me not sleeping. And I had set my alarm for 6 because I just want to wake up one morning before the children and drink coffee and try to read my Bible. So when six rolled around, and I had just been up 2 hours earlier, I hit snooze, about 6 times, till 7. I counted it lucky that Paige wasn't up. She's my "crack of dawn" child. So I ran into the kitchen where the coffee had been made for an hour (thank you person who invented the auto set button). I poured into my favorite pink mug, got my breakfast bar and sat down in the chair in the living room for some quiet reflection before the day started. As I sat, I looked up to see Paige, smiling. Then she promptly asked me for her breakfast. Luckily, last night I had poured 3 juice glasses/sippy cups in preparation for the morning. As soon as she had her oatmeal, I went to sit in my chair and take that first, now lukewarm, sip of coffee. Only to look up and see Zak, now ready for his breakfast. So I set the mug down and got his cereal, made Paige's lunch for Mother's Day out, changed a poopy diaper because now Rene' was up, and got her breakfast. Back to the coffee - now cold. Luckily I make a full pot so I dumped it and poured a fresh cup. I realize I could have just microwaved it but it doesn't taste the same and I'm afraid I'll get cancer from the microwaves. Now I took it with me into the bathroom because I was going to drink it while I got ready. I did get a few sips in. But by the time I was ready, it was cold again. So off I went to the kitchen to dump cup #2 and pour cup #3. Keep in mind, this is not my 3rd cup of coffee. I had only drank about a half of one cup at this point. Then it was off to get the girls dressed, which led to straightening their room, and you know where I'm going with this. My coffee was cold. And I gave up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tip from someone who is not a mom! However, my sister in law just told me this over the weekend because her little one is congested too. Simple tip - have them sleep in their car seat right by their bed. This keeps the drainage from clogging them up. She swears by it and you might give it a try.

Unknown said...

Cancer from microwaves? LOL!

There are abandoned half full coffee cups all over the house because I, too, try to take it with me as I do the stuff you mentioned and then LOOSE it. At least you use the same cup. You're much more responsible. :)

And I'm so jealous of Mother's Day Out. It does not exist in my country.

Joanna said...

I'm so with you on that. I usually only get one or two sips of coffee, too. And I'm totally using your idea of pouring the kids drinks the night before. That's such a good idea!