Monday, January 11, 2010

The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree

When it comes to Paige, my 4 year old, I can't seem to relate. First of all, she doesn't like jeans. HATES to wear jeans. She insists on "stretchy pants" or dresses. Jeans are a staple girl, especially a really good pair that always make you feel good in them. Next, she's an imagination girl. I don't know which side of the brain is creative and which is structure, but I got the structure, type A side and she got the carefree spirit, no need for rules side.

But Friday night, I was looking at myself. We went to some friends house for pizza and misc. Rock Band broke out on the Wii, which is a personal fav of mine. I don't care about playing the drums, or guitar, I want to sing. There has always been something magical about holding a microphone in my hand. Now I don't have a fabulous voice, but I can pick out some harmony, and stay on key. As a young girl, I had dreams and aspirations of being a professional singer. As a side note, I lived the dream one time at a girlfriend's bachelorette party where me and my friends went to a bar, had no alcohol, and owned the place in karaoke. I had the entire place up on their feet clapping over their heads to me singing Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name". I'm sure I know why God didn't give me a phenomenal voice. I would have gotten wrapped up in fame and fortune and never made it back to reality. Ok, back to Rock Band. So Jake, who is a drummer, is on the drums, Andy on the guitar, and Zak on the guitar. Paige and I decide to take the mike. We're doing a personal family fav of Taylor Swift's. Well, as the song progresses, I find myself pulling the mike closer to me, because I wanted to make sure we got all the points, right? Well then Paige starts pulling the microphone her way, because she's my daughter and wants it all to herself. It started a little microphone battle that ensued the entire song. Me. And my daughter. Fighting for who gets to hold the microphone.

Did I just say that?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dying over here because I can TOTALLY PICTURE this scenario. I haven't seen you in 10 years or something but I can absolutely picture both the Bon Jovi bar night and the mother-daughter sing off.

I'm much more shy on the karaoke mic, but far and away the Karen-Melanie classic "Love Shack" can still bring it at Ladies Retreat. I'm embarrassed to say that on the internet.

Cristina said...

Cute! Can't wait to see y'all!

JP said...

What about the "GENERAL LEE"?? Remember we planned it all day working our internship job! Memories!