Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm back and its deep and maybe controversial

I'm just going to admit it. I have an issue with pride. I think my way is the best way. Really. But you see, since I'm a Christian, that means I give God full reign to correct me. And He does. Often. Most of the time, if I am judgemental regarding someone or something, it comes back to haunt me. Pre-children, I believed my children would behave because I would spank them. And it was as easy as that. Then I got a child who doesn't care whether she's spanked or not. That is example #1. And I have about 20 of them. I'll spare you. But I will share the latest. I thought that staying home was the only way to raise children, the best way. And I was prideful about it. In my heart, not out loud. And here I am now, a working mom. A working mom who loves her kids just as much as she did when she stayed home with them all day. And who (shudder) actually likes going to work. (most of the time) I haven't tired yet of dressing up everyday!! I am living what I said I'd never do. And it is working for our family. Very well. And what annoys me the most is that I get the very sympathetic "So how is your job going?" - insert look of pity - from some of my stay-at-home mom friends. They feel sorry for me because I "had" to go back to work. And I can't chastize them for it, unfortunately, because I was one of them a few months ago. Love you girls! So here is the lesson learned for me. Never say never. Its cliche', I know. But as soon as I learn that, maybe, just maybe, I will learn to stop critiquing others (to myself of course) because most likely I will either become it, or someone I know and love will. And it will rock my world. And I will be a better person because of it.

8 comments:

Joanna said...

You know I have your back on this one. Not that everyone is this way, but I always say I'm a better mom because I work. To each his own.

Dorynda said...

well said my friend. i think your and andy's situation is amazing! i'm pumped it's working so well for you guys, not all mom's would be open to it...so you go girl!

Unknown said...

Every family, person, and child is unique. If every situation worked perfectly for every one we'd all be boring robots. I think it's awesome how your new set-up is working, what great opportunities for you, Andy, AND your kids. You go, girl.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Yay! You're back!

You know, I'm a BIG believer in doing what works best for your family EVEN IF it is different than what works best for someone else.

I got some pretty harsh criticism from well-meaning friends when I decided not to breast-feed my last child. Wowza. SO wasn't expecting that.

It made me more aware of my own prideful judgment of others and made me want to offer encouragement instead.

So...
Glad you've found your groove and that you're enjoying life! Sounds like you guys are doing great.

Anonymous said...

Just this week I was praying for the Lord to help me get rid of the "perfect" ideals that I have planned for my life and accept the plans He has - even if they aren't "normal" to what I've known or different from my "perfect plan". Scary prayer, huh? But keep learning that He never lets His children go and only wants the best. I'm proud of you!!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

You are back! Several times a week I check to see if you have posted anything, and then I am reminded why I don't have a blog...because I work and I have NO time for it. God is so sovereign. He provides in ways that we wouldn't nessesarily choose, but His way is always amazing. I hope you are your family is doing well. Miss you, lady!
Paula

Cristina said...

I just stopped by to say you are missed in bloggy land and was so excited to see a recent post and an updated look! You go girl! You're right....it is easy to judge when we think we have the corner on what is right. I think it awesome that y'all made a difficult choice and you are being blessed for it! It sounds great to me. Sometimes I am jealous of my working friends because they get time away! :-)

Jennifer said...

Great post! That is one of my pet peeves...judgemental moms! You should check out my first post ever, it's what inspired me to blog in the first place. You do what's best for your family and you just try not to worry about what the world thinks. Good for you! I'm so glad you and your family are doing so well. It's fun to keep up with you.