Thursday, June 25, 2009

Running and magazines

For those who don't know, I've taken up running. I want to first of all say - I used to LOATHE running. And I'm not exaggerating. I really hated it. I was a sprinter in high school track. I'll run really fast for 100 yards, but then I'm done. I'm also okay with admitting that I really needed to lose some weight. Like 3 kids worth. Once I started my job, I of course didn't know anyone well enough to do lunch, so I took myself down to the fitness center every day, hopped on the treadmill and watched some HGTV. I decided to issue myself a little challenge. Run for a minute then add a minute every day. Well, in a few months time, I worked up to my 30 minutes on the treadmill in a full jog. No to mention, I shed 25 pounds doing it. Thus the obsession has started. I'm now getting up at 5:30 3-4 days a week and hitting the fitness center first thing. Mainly because I wanted more time in the treadmill to see if I could go farther. And I wanted my lunch hour back to run errands etc. Which brings me to magazines. Today, was a rough one. And I needed off campus in a bad way. Lucky for me, there's a Barnes and Noble 2 minutes away. So I headed over there, found a large comfy chair and read Runners World magazine. It was just what I needed. Seriously - there's nothing better than being able to sit and read, then put it back, and leave. So I've decided that's my new thing now. At least once a week, I'm going to head over there and catch up on my running, parenting, and Martha magazines. But now due to Runner's World - I have the half marathon bug.......can I really do it?!?!?!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm so excited about your weight loss and getting into shape. You look great and I know you must feel better. Please be careful to not become too obsessed. My boss did several marathons and it became a real addition resulting in a stroke, anorexia and a six-week stay at Sierra Tuscon. He even wrote an article for Runner's World about his addition and expressing his concern that full marathon's are unhealty, because our bodies are not designed for that much punishment resulting in injuies and arthritis. Please don't let this discourage you from a healty amount of running. My comment is just cautionary.

Amy said...

Sure you can do it Aim--I'm so proud of you! I've been really lazy on my exercising lately, but you have just inspired me!

P.S. I can't wait until July, only a few more weeks!!!!

Love you, your proud sis-in-law Amy

Unknown said...

I am completely in awe.

And yes! Of course you can do it!

Kelly said...

Hey you!
That is a great encouraging post........"running for a minute and then adding a minute each day".....I mean, way to go!
And listen, chica, I've known you for quite some time now, and you can do this half marathon! You do exactly what you set your mind to and I think it's fantastic that you've done this for yourself and it's something that's all yours.
Wish I could give you a hug or something......you go girl!

Cristina said...

That is so awesome! Way to go on the weight loss! Of course you can do a marathon. You are such an inspiration!