Thursday, June 4, 2009

A bad day

It starts with me getting dressed at work because I got up early and hit the fitness center before work. Its the first day of the month which translates to crunch time for accountants. Its going to be a very busy day and I have got to plan my time strategically to get it all done without being there till 9pm. The "suits" are here from out of town and we are all to be on our best behavior. As I am buttoning my dress, one pops off. Right at the bust. Nice. I strategically make it to my desk without many seeing me and then begin asking those around me for a sewing kit. Note to self - I have got to bring up a sewing kit. Anyway, found one, sewed it on quickly and am ready to start the day. Enter problem employee who is telling me she has messed up yet ANOTHER thing. On the last day of the month. When everything has got to be in. On time. (Insert silent scream) Proceed to spend 4 hours on something that should have taken 1 hour. After lunch, as I'm walking, I hear a crack and am instantly 2 inches shorter. Yep, the heel of one of my shoes has completely broken off. Completely. I peek around the corner to make sure the execs aren't seeing me head down the hall barefoot. I seek out Judy who I know has everything (hoping for superglue), who told me to ask Ken, who told me to ask Jane, who told me to ask Shannon for the glue. None of these people sit by each other so I am peeking around cubicles, again to make sure the coast is clear before the CFO sees me barefoot. No luck on the superglue. Note to self, add super glue to the list that has sewing kit on it. But I scored some spare shoes from Collette. Didn't quite go with the dress, but at this point, really, who cares? Somehow I managed to get out of there about an hour and a half after quitting time. Not too shabby for the kind of day I've had.

There it is. A day in my glamorous life.

Don't' be jealous.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Oh, the joys of a working woman. Sounds like you coped well. BTW I guess Chris asked you if you'll keep me in mind if you hear of any jobs. I can do full or part-time or contract bookkeeping or office work in my home. I got my office set up this week so I am ready to start.