Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Return of the M&M jar


I think one of my very first posts on this here blog was regarding the M&M jar. It so revolutionized my life at the time I just needed to share it. Well, it served its purpose for a few months and was then put away. Now that Paige is 3, it has made its return. When your tired of spewing words that get ignored with your 3 year old, this just might do the trick. We begin with one large jar of M&Ms set so the child can see it all the time. To each side there is another jar. ONe with a happy face on it, and one with a sad face on it. When Paige does somthing that makes someone else unhappy (usually her siblings or me) she has to put an M&M in the sad jar. And of course, when she does something that makes other happy, she puts one in the happy jar. At the end of the day, if there are more in the happy jar, than the sad, she can eat the ones in the happy jar. If not, they all get poured back into the main jar and I remind her that tomorrow is another day. This is one of the most effective tools I've ever used with my kids. Use it, share it, thank the Lord for it.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, question:
Does she ever refuse to put an M&M in the sad jar? If so, how do you handle it?

Regular, with half and half and raw sugar said...

She has refused, but I've been able to coax her, so far. Now, I'm afraid she likes to put them in the sad jar, too much!

Amber Elder said...

Great Idea!! I think you should teach a class on mommy tips! Seriously!!! :)

Kelly said...

I like this idea, Amy.
Going to try this very soon!

A.C.A. said...

What is you eat all the M&M's during their nap time?

Regular, with half and half and raw sugar said...

Yes, All Natural Army mom, that is a problem I have run into.

Just Lisa said...

What a good idea! I'll have to try it!

suzspeaks said...

I came here from tip junkie....I'm so doing this! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Joanna said...

OKay I have to say THANK YOU for this idea. I have an almost 3 year old, she was starting to have a major relapse with potty training (like having 5 accidents a day !!) This TOTALLY worked!